Saturday, October 17, 2009

A Birthday and A Retelling


OK Back in Maine....we had a birthday dinner for Mom. Dad had done some grocery shopping and hid some things for our surprise celebration.


She even blew out a candle.


And then, Clay retold the story that made me laugh so hard. I think Mom & Dad enjoyed it too.






Mom even said afterwards, "Well, that wasn't so bad". I think they were expecting far worse.

After dinner we gave Mom her birthday present. We contacted a bunch of friends and family from throughout her life and had them fill out "Friendship", "Memory" or "Love" cards and then put them in a book with photos. It was great collecting these and Danielle Stewart, who designed our wedding invitations designed the cards and put the book together for us. She did a terrific job!


Mom couldn't even look when she first opened the package...


Just like me on my wedding day. Geoff wrote me a card and it took me 20 minutes to have the guts to open it because I knew it would make me bawl my eyes out. And it did.



Dad reads a little


Mom is done in by it all...



We had a lovely celebration! Just a few more Maine pics to share before we move on to vacation pics....

7 comments:

Deb Schwabe said...

I'm speechless....all over again. Anyone who reads your blog and has a tiny glimpse into what you and Clay did for me will have the beginning of understanding about how filled with love you are.
Thank you my sweet, though that doesn't begin to cover it.
Love you so much. xoxoxo

Courtney said...

wow...I'M in tears with her! amazing! what a gift you gave her!!! in being there and all the surprises!

beckley said...

so, who made those?
we're looking for something like that for my mom at christmas (her 60th).

fantastic, you are-

Christy said...

that was incredible!!
Kate, so creative and thoughtful and amazing...wow!
What wonderful kids you 2 are!!!
LOVE YOU!

Michelle said...

What a sweet present and terrific reaction!

Kate and Geoff said...

Robyn, you can click on the link to Danielle Stewart's website. She's the designer who made the cards and put the books together for us. The books I just picked out at a scrapbook store. I can email you more about what we did specifically.

beckley said...

ahhhh...i thought i saw a link, then i didn't...thanks :)