Friday, October 9, 2009

The Lighthouse


After our "hike" to the Top of the World, we jumped in the car for a driving tour of the Island. We ended up at the Lighthouse. It's just had a great external renovation and will eventually be able to be booked for weddings, family reunions, picnics etc etc. It looks terrific.


And the view....UNBELIEVABLE




Pretty cool house. And Dad has keys, so he took us on a tour of the inside as well. It is awaiting it's interior renovation but there is such history in this house (formerly the lighthouse keeper's quarters) I almost don't want them to touch it. But they are going to make it a bit of a museum and honor the history, so I guess I will let them go ahead with renovations.


Former bedroom....Love the layers of paint and wallpaper, some from the 1920s/1930s I think Dad said?


In the research they did about the history of the Lighthouse, they were able to get in touch with a few of the last Lighthouse Keeper's children (now in their 80s I believe). One of them remembered asking for their own room and that it must not have been much bigger than a closet. We think this was it.


The Lighthouse Keeper would sometimes sleep in this little attic-type room because from that window they could tell if the light was still burning through the night. Obviously particularly important in a storm.


Looking back from that attic room into the hallway....I liked the multiple doorways.


Clay crouches in the doorway to the little attic room.


And so does Hayley


I loved this one...I'm standing downstairs...taking a picture of the upstairs bathroom sink tap through a hole in the floor. Fun!


This may be my most favorite picture of Mom from the whole weekend. I was taking a shot of the old door and padlock and the hole in the wall to the outside, so the focus was on the inside and the outside view would be blurry. She popped her little head right in that hole and smiled at me. So cute! Wish I could have planned that and flip flopped the focus, but still cute!


Dad raises the flag in front of the Lighthouse



Clay making Hayley stay...she is so patient!


THEN they play!


We had a great time. Loved seeing the renovation and the amazing view. But we were off to our next adventure....

2 comments:

Michelle said...

We MUST plan our next reunion at your parent's house!! It's gorgeous! :)

Christy said...

MICHELLE!!!
I was JUST thinking the same thing!!

Awesome pictures and that one of your mom "peeking" is certainly my FAVORITE!! SO cute!!!

xoxoxoxo!!