Wednesday, October 7, 2009

A Surprise in Maine


So as you know, the last couple of years we've tended to make a big deal of milestone birthdays in our family. Mom was the last to have hers, so several months ago Clay and I began to hatch our plan. I figured out that her birthday weekend fell on the opening end of the only week that Geoff and I could coordinate to manage a vacation. And we were needing one. Hm, a challenge. From there we moved on to telling Mom that I couldn't make it because of vacation and that Clay had a work conference in NJ, but that we wanted to reserve a weekend in October to see her at the Cape for her Bday. And she fell for it.

So after MUCH coordination and fun secret-keeping and leading her astray (including Clay asking friends to post things on his Facebook wall that would support our ruse), I flew up to Maine on a Friday night after work. Mom thinking that I was gearing up to help Geoff shoot a HUGE wedding. False. Clay picked me up at the world's smallest airport and we spent the night at The Claremont Hotel. It was awesome. It's on the national register of historic places and they have a croquet tournament every summer. I wished we were there for longer. And if you ever take a trip to Maine or Acadia National Park, I would highly recommend it.



We shared a room. With twin beds. Which was pretty amazing.


We got up super early the next morning and caught the early ferry over to Swans Island. Barely made it in time, but they let us on. I was so worried about Mom finding out our plan that when I called the ferry terminal to make our reservation I told the lady on the phone we were coming to surprise Mom for her birthday and not to say anything!

The ferry ride



Clay - saying, "Can you even believe this is finally happening?" or "How is it gonna go, do you think she'll be surprised", or perhaps, "Why do you take pictures of every single thing as it is happening, you crazy person."


Arriving on Swans Island


We got off the ferry and made a "warning call" to Dad (who was in on the plot). Clay called with yet another lie, that while he was "at his conference" he got a call from the Harbor Patrol at the Cape who were concerned about his boat looking very low in the water etc etc and "wanted to talk to Dad about his advice". Gave Dad the 5 minute warning and we were almost there. We parked down the road a bit so we could sneak up to the house and not be seen or startle the dogs.

This is Mom & Dad's house on our sneaky walk up the road. Tall & skinny (because of zoning).


Clay, moments before the big surprise


We crept up to the house and rounded the corner by the kitchen. So far so good. As we snuck up to the sliding glass door, the dogs started barking and Clay just made a mad dash and threw open the door and popped his head inside. I followed and popped my head in too.

She was shocked! There she was sitting in her robe having her coffee and watching the Today show at 805am on a Saturday morning. She had no idea that her socks were about to be knocked off.

Mom's Surprise sequence...







After we told her the whole story about how this trip came to be and how far the deception had gone, we went to check out the new work on the stone wharf.






Hayley did some standard fetching work

Going for it


Almost getting it


Got it


We walked over the the Boathouse/garage and found some more treasures. I love these signs. Mom made them. And I love that.


A letter/journal entry that my dad wrote to himself in 1961 at the tender age of nearly 14. Pretty amazing. It starts "The two girls of whom I am fond of are stated in this private document..." and goes on to describe them both in quite a complimentary fashion. I love it.


After those finds we headed up to The Top of the World. When we were kids, Clay and I thought that this rock mountain behind our house was the highest point on earth. The "hike" up doesn't seem to take nearly as long now. It took all of 3 minutes.

The view....that used to be clear of those trees...


There used to be a rope hanging over the side of a rock at the Top of the World that we used to faux "rock climb" with. It disintegrated years ago, but it looks like some neighbor kids have reinstated it. Clay relives his youth....


The Birthday Girl and her Lying kids


The Fam....A self portrait.


Much more to come!

8 comments:

beckley said...

sooo fantastic :)
all of it.

Deb Schwabe said...

I love this! I love YOU! I loved my birthday surprise, and I LOVE re-living it all with your photos.
oh boy....it just gets me!
xoxoxoxox

Michelle said...

I love it. My pray is that when my kids are adults, they enjoy me as much as you enjoy your family. :)

Courtney said...

that was so fun to re-live with you! your family is so great!

Christy said...

I agree!!!!
wow Kate!! I can't believe your parents live there---its just gorgeous!
and great job surprising!! what an adventure--she is SOOOO cute and surprised!!!
love it :)

Mandy said...

You and your brother are awesome!! I hope my kids do this for me later in life! And can I take Kate's photography class someday?! GORGEOUS!

jeremy said...

Kate,
I love this entry. And I love that you guys did this. We all did it for my mom's big bday a couple of years ago (much harder to do w/ 5 kids all over the country!) Glad to hear the trip and lies were a success. Happy birthday Deb!

Ariel said...

Kate,

I love this!!!! Your pictures and story telling are wonderful. Your family is beautiful.