Monday, December 21, 2009

Rocked My World


My world was forever changed last night. For the better.

I saw Avatar.

Let me preface this by saying that we'd made plans to meet up with Robert Norman to see it on Sunday night at 7pm at the AMC on 42nd Street. Let's think about that for a minute, shall we?

Times Square
On a Sunday night
The last weekend before Christmas
The day after a blizzard
To see a Sci-fi movie I didn't really care about seeing

I think it's pretty clear that in the same way that only Alison could drag me to the UWS on a Sunday for her caroling party, Robert Norman is about the only thing that would take me into Times Square over the weekend. In a blizzard. For a Sci-fi movie.

Well I ended up with a two-fer. Robert Norman AND an incredible movie experience.

Not only did we see it in IMAX, we saw it in 3-D. Which was amazing. My first 3-D movie ever. I spent the first 15 minutes (most of which were 3-D previews) having my world completely rocked. I mean, science and technology has never been my strong suit, but I cannot figure out for the life of me how they do that. How do they DO that????

And the movie itself was really terrific. Yes, the CGI was great. Like, crazy great. But it was also a terrific story. And made me realize how many movies I've seen lately have just been....ok. Kinda.... "eh" and therefore ultimately disappointing. And that even with all the crazy good CGI, Avatar could have probably just been "eh" if it wasn't for the story. Story is everything.

But crazy good CGI makes it even better. Well done, James Cameron.

I was completely beside myself afterwards. Loved it. I would highly reccommend it. In 3-D if you can.

And then you too can look as amazing as me in these sexy 3-D glasses.

2 comments:

the little owl said...

Okay... so I just got home from seeing Avatar. At the end of the film, as the credits were rolling, I turned to my brother (Tim) and said, "THAT was Kate's new favorite movie?!?!?!" It is SOOOO SciFi... I mean, BEYOND SciFi. I loooooove SciFi/Fantasy and it was a bit too SciFi for me. Who are you and what have you done with my best friend?

(Just teasing. And I really did enjoy it.)

Unknown said...

really - you SEE? would I steer you wrong? come on now!