Friday, December 18, 2009

Caroling, Caroling Now We Go


This past Sunday was a monsoon. We'd shot the Christmas party the night before and were up late. So we slept in. We made breakfast pretty late. And by late I mean, it was almost lunchtime. And stayed in our PJs while it rained and poured outside. I love being inside when its rainy outside. Rainy Sundays are maybe my favorites. So it was only the great great love that I have for my best friend that could possibly drag me from my happy cocoon and out into the rain. And to the Upper West Side. Which is soooooooooooooooooooooooooo nowhere near my house. But Alison was hosting a caroling party. And I was not about to miss it.

Having failed epically at capturing the amazing spread we had at Amanda's shower, I was determined to not have the guilt and disappointment of a repeat failure this time. In fact, as soon as we arrived, after quick hugs all around, I barely spoke to anyone and just busted out my camera. Which basically forced everyone else to stop enjoying the spread so as to not ruin my shot. Slightly rude? Perhaps. Priorities askew? Almost always.

These puppies were pretty amazing...




Now this is my kind of party....this is about all I need.


Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I love olives.


And really, what holiday party is complete without...


And it was homemade too. Beat that!

There were many fun peoples. As per usual at Alison's parties.


Alison & Sarah party it up (i hate using "party" as a verb. it's just wrong.)


Classic Jon & Alison


And her wee tree was so lovely. *sigh*


Homestrung popcorn and cranberries. Of course.


After much socializing we moved into the musical portion of the evening. This was a caroling party after all. Sadly all of our piano players were MIA, I suppose on account of the monsoon.

Wussies.

So we decided to soldier on anyway. A capella. And attempting 4 part harmony. Now, there were three people in the room who have been on Broadway. And then there were the rest of us. Sadly, Broadway could not save us. I mean, I was a trained musician in my day, but it's been a while. The ole pipes just aren't what they used to be. Some over-ambitious person suggested we start with It Came Upon a Midnight Clear. Well, that was a ROUSING success.

This picture was snapped about 4 notes in. Please notice how a majority of us are doubled over in laughter.


Sarah tries to keep it together. James doesn't even bother. Which I love.


We fared a bit better with Silent Night and Joy to the World.


But there were still plenty of moments of laughter and vocal disaster.


Despite the wonky harmonies and me questioning the long term use of my college degree, we had an awesome time. It was good that we were in the safety of Alison's living room, as we would have potentially had tomatoes chucked at us, or at minimum, doors slammed in our faces had we been attempting to go door to door. At least during It Came Upon a Midnight Clear.

Regardless, a good time was had by all. I vote that it become an annual tradition. Who's in?

3 comments:

Beth said...

So fun. And great to see photos of Sarah. Tell her hi from me. I miss her. Happy Holidays Kate!

Christy said...

so fun...
and I just LOVE your pictures!!!!
I'm seriously craving some cheese, olives and wine about now :)

Courtney said...

love your boots! stylin'!