Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Moonlightling


No, not as a DJ. Wouldn't that be something new?

This past Saturday we agreed to be the photographer at a Christmas party. Slightly terrifying considering we dont really have the appropriate gear (we really need to upgrade our camera if we're gonna do this for reals) and lighting was going to be a nightmare. But we figured it out and we did ok. It's amazing not only what you learn as you're shooting but afterwards, when you're editing. As in, I learned tons. TONS. So it was worth it just for that.

Some of the highlights...






And the dreaded group shot...which are super hard to do. But Geoff totally rocked the lighting and completely saved the day like the rock star he is.


So we lived through it. And even though it was stressful, it was a really good experience. And we thought, all things considered, we did ok for ourselves.

It was interesting to see myself in this situation. I think because I'm so used to shooting video at weddings, where the number one priority is to be unobtrusive, I really had to coach myself and remind myself that it's totally different with photography at a party. You kind of have to get in peoples faces and be the person who says, "Hey guys, let me get you together... let me grab a shot... (blah blah blah...) just get together for me...super! That was great! (blah blah blah...) " I'm not as comfortable directing people. Or maybe just not used to it? I mean I can sure tell people what to do at an open call. Or in an audition. But with photography, I like to blend into the background more. Maybe it's because I don't like posed shots as much. I like real life better.

I just do.

3 comments:

Ariel said...

You guys did an awesome job!!! Your booked... sometime in 2011 :)

Megan said...

kate shoots Raul's Prom! awesome job lady! i'd love you to shoot some J+M shots.

Christy said...

me too :)

but you did great!!!! :)