Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The Extent of Christmas


I've never had a Christmas tree all my very own. I mean, we had them as kids. And I think we got them when I was in college or just out of college and living with girlfriends in various houses and apartments. And there's one in Georgia where my family does Christmas. Clearly, since I wrote about it falling down last year. (See Ali, you are not alone.) But I haven't ever had one any of my 8 years in New York. Geoff and I have never had one together either. Not that we've had more than one married Christmas together. But still. I always feel a little sad that we don't really decorate for Christmas. But December is usually crazed enough anyway. It's all I can do to buy Christmas presents for both families and my office co-workers in time. I've possibly never done Christmas cards. I just don't know if I'm ever going to have it together enough to get holiday cards out on time. You know....the ones with pictures and a "newsletter" that you're supposed to send to everyone you know? I'm gonna go on record and say that will likely never happen. Possibly ever. At least not until I have less of a crazy job. So when you don't receive a Holiday card from us, it's not for lack of love and well wishes. It's for lack of my act being together.

But I would kinda like to have a Christmas tree. But, on the other hand....we're not actually home for Christmas ever. We're always with family in another state. And all my Christmas decorations are in a box on a top shelf in the front hall closet that we may just never actually be able to get to again. And December is so busy I don't know when we'd find time to do it anyway. But I picture a tree all twinkly with white lights and I sigh a little bit on the inside.

Well, on Sunday Geoff and I were at the grocery store and he insisted we buy me a wreath. And a poinsettia. I allowed myself to be talked into it. It was kind of a big step. A live wreath. (Which I'm now regretting a little on account of the crazy shedding). It's not shaped particularly well. And we couldn't hang it on the door because our door is metal and there's no place to hang it. So it's hanging kind of strangely in the living room next to the TV. Where we can see it and enjoy it more anyway.


We brought it home and then I realized I needed to decorate it somehow. I dug through my ribbon/wrapping paper/random gifts box to see what was in there. Came up with this orange ribbon that had a little wire to it, so it was bendable. I fashioned a fairly wonky-looking bow. Which was on the small side since I didn't have a ton of it. So I had these three Christmas ornaments I got a Pier One last year for 99 cents each. I'd used them as favors for a birthday party. I just placed them at the base of the wreath. Then it still looked pretty bare, so tried some other ornaments that were not all packed away in the highest farthest box. They were too big and/or too much. So then I dug around in my jewelry drawer for a bit and came up with three pairs of earrings that all had a bit of sparkle to them and that I don't wear very often. They turned into mini ornaments.


I have to say (true confession), I was a little bit on the "impressed with myself" side that I though of that. They don't sparkle or stand out quite as much as I'd like, but not too shabby for a makeshift wreath decoration idea. And great since you don't have to buy anything but the wreath. Which I like because, as we know, I don't like to spend more than $40 on anything. So as long as you're ok with wonky bows and slightly under performing sparkly earrings, it makes for a lovely decoration. Considering my act's lack of togetherness, I'm totally ok with it. And, yes you guessed it, I think Real Simple should be told about my earrings idea. I mean, I'm not saying I should have a regular column in that magazine, but maybe they could do an annual special feature on me and my clever ideas. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'. (Except maybe they would use only my ideas and and not my actual product 'cause here's what, Real Simple could make it look prettier than my ragamuffin-i-did-it-myself version)

So this is an ok substitution for a tree for me for now. Even thought a wreath looks fairly bizarre hanging on a living room wall. Maybe there will be a tree in my future someday. Hopefully soon. Since putting up the wreath I had to do some minor rearranging of furniture. And here's hoping that this time next year there's a tree where that wreath is....

5 comments:

Deb Schwabe said...

Can I submit your idea to Real Simple? Can I tell them your life story?
I've figured out a great option for a tree next year. Actually thought of it when I read le petit hibou's blog about her miniature vintage trees......well, next year when we gather at the Cape for Thanksgiving, I will bring a real tree (fir) from our own land here in Maine. You can suggest an approximate size and we can just dig it up. We'll do one for Alison as well if she's needing one. howbou'da'one?

the little owl said...

I think I gave you one of those pairs of earrings! :) The dark grey pearls with the sparkles in the middle. I'm so glad I could somehow (and unknowingly) contribute to your little bit of Holiday Spirit! Great idea! It looks great!

Megan said...

LOVE IT! looks wonderful! quite clever! i just put up our pretty ornament like that too from amanda's bday.
& ps...I never ever managed to get christmas cards out on time, that's why I do an annual valentine's day card/newsletter/picture update diddy. january is always less busy & chill & it's SO much easier. i think i'm on about year 10 now, super easy.

Courtney said...

wow! i'm VERY impressed!

beckley said...

i think that IS a great idea and RS SHOULD pick it up. And pay you.

just saying.