Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Labor Day Weekend

We went to Cape Cod this weekend. We actually shot a wedding on Friday on our way up. The coolest part was working with our friend Carla, who was our photographer at our wedding, who we LOOOOOOOVE. She is amazing. And SO much fun to work with.

And we finished up the wedding at 1130pm and then drove 3 hours to the Cape, arriving around 3am. That's one long day. We were the first ones there (Mom, Dad and Clay were all to arrive the next day). So we arrived, lugged essentials into the house and tried to get ready for bed. But couldn't find any sheets that fit the queen bed. Anywhere. Would have normally just called Mom, but it was 3am. So we made makeshift queen sheets from sheets that would have fit a twin or double bed and even made pillowcases from a twin sheet. We didn't care. We made it work. We were too stinkin' tired to care. And I asked Geoff to turn the fan on for me. I went into the bathroom to brush my teeth and came out to find him having taken the fan half apart as it was broken. So there he was, rewiring the fan at 330am, and no matter how many times I told him not to worry about it, he insisted, and basically had it done in 2 minutes. He is amazing. We were so tired, and a little crabby, and he said at one point (after I'm sure I was a lil' snippy about something ridiculous) that maybe we just shouldn’t talk to each other anymore tonight. Which made us laugh somewhat hysterically at ourselves before we fell asleep at 4am.

Saturday morning we made a run to Dunkin’ Donuts for breakfast and brought it back to enjoy on the deck. Lovely. Heavenly weather. Nice to just sit. And be. And watch the boats go by. We did a lot of that. Clay showed up a few hours later with a HUGE remote control airplane, this time outfitted with pontoons. Smart idea, considering our riverfront property and also our previous experience with flying planes.

We knew mom and dad had arrived a few hours later when Hayley came TEARING around the corner of the house onto the deck to greet us. I love her. And as the sun started getting lower in the sky, I grabbed the camera to get some shots of the river only to discover we'd brought all the right gear and lenses EXCEPT no memory cards. None. So, no pictures were taken. Which was a shame. All weekend I kept seeing such pretty pictures that I wanted to take. Many moments of wishing that my eye was a camera.

Well, I suppose I did take one picture, as Clay and I were on our way to the liquor store on Saturday. I had my little point and shoot camera in my purse. We passed what I have come to refer to as Alison's house. It's teeny. Just her size. And I love it. Not the best picture of it, as we were driving by it in the car, but....love it.




























Top 12 Other Weekend Highlights:

1) TexMex 7 Layer dip with all the college football on Saturday
2) Coffee on the deck every morning with Cranberry bread from Marion's Pie Shop. A Cape Cod morning tradition for us.
3) Reading a TON of Cape Cod Home type magazines on the deck and finding my dream kitchen in one of them (complete with an actual bread making station).
4) Clay making his plane dive-bomb kids in passing boats on the river and the kids LOVING it.
5) Grilled scallops with mom's cilantro pesto and corn on the cob for dinner on Sunday.
6) Hayley taking a break from her busy ball-fetching schedule to snuggle with us on our bed for 20 minutes on Sunday afternoon. And I mean, really snuggle. Like, pushed up against me, getting black dog hair all over my white Tshirt and trying to burrow her nose in Geoff's armpit. Amazing. Loved it. Even though we had to wash the bedding afterwards.
7) Clay tying leftover 4th of July fireworks to his remote control plane for some nighttime flying. This was not a highlight for Mom.
8) Dad buying a John Deer Riding Lawn Mower (which came with an official John Deere hat) and when the man came to deliver it, we got to meet his almost 3 year old daughter, Isabella. She loved Hayley. She kept saying "She's so cute!" and when Hayley hit the water to fetch a ball, said "That's like how I swim." She also wanted to pet Clay's plane. She was basically amazing.
9) Speaking of amazing, Mom took me to this AMAZING consignment store for home goods on Monday. That's the only other time I took pictures with the ole point 'n' shoot. But that's getting it's own separate post.
10) Leaving Monday night at 9pm to avoid all the crazy traffic and it actually working. We hit no traffic.
11) The great conversation we had on the way home. About us. And life. And the future. Yay.
12) The fact that the hydrangeas that my mom clipped for me to take home are actually still alive on my kitchen counter, when I was convinced they wouldn't even survive the car trip.

All in all, a lovely, restful weekend. And good time seeing the fam. And getting my own personal pet therapy from Hayley and The Tobe. Just wish I'd remembered the durn memory cards for the camera.

2 comments:

Christy said...

ohhhhh....
that was the most relaxing and indulgent post---LOVED hearing about your weekend and can't wait to see pics of the consignment (did I read that right??) sounded so fabulous and wonderful...
miss you sweet kate!!
xoxoxoxo

the little owl said...

Ummm. I need that house. Like, yesterday. It's adorable and perfect for lil' ol' me...

Sounds like such a great weekend - so glad to hear all the details. And I second Christy's excitement about the consignment pics! I don't know if I've ever been to a consignment home store. Amazing.

So, when are we moving to the Cape and when do I get to move into my wee house?