Monday, June 29, 2009

Adding to the "Garden"


This Saturday Geoff and I shot a wedding for Joel & Kim Barbosa. They are super cute. We've been following each other's blogs and had become "blog friends" prior to the wedding, discovering we had a lot in common.....love of photography, NYC, cheese, honeymooning in Italy (at least in part). Their theme for their wedding was, "Our Love Grows". Lots of greens and browns and natural, organic themes. Their table assignment cards were a little seed packet. With a seed inside (of course). Super cute.


So, on Sunday, after brunch, one of the only things we did that day was walk over to Home Depot to pick up a planter for our new addition to the "garden". And by "garden", I clearly mean, "kitchen windowsill". On the way over, we passed a ton of what I think were hydrangea bushes, growing in a number of yards and gardens. But Geoff pointed out, some of them may have been rhododendrons. I dunno, I thought they all pretty much looked like hydrangeas to me. Then he said,

"Well, I mean I don't know for sure...I'm not an herbivore."

At which point, we looked at each other and both BURST out laughing. It was one of those things you know is wrong as soon as it comes out of your mouth. But, coincidentally, it also happens to be true. As he said with a smirk, "I'm not an herbivore. I don't like salads." (which also made me laugh hysterically). In addition to not being an herbivore, he also is not a...horticulturalist (which is perhaps what he meant to say in the first place)? Man, that made me laugh.

Home Depot didn't have a ton of planter options that I liked, but we settled on one. Geoff was about DONE with shopping for planters - he lasted about 5 minutes. I couldn't blame him. He'd had a crazy long week (working until 1am or 2am most nights) and was compeltely exhausted, and had been a good sport about attempting to shop in the first place. I should talk....I went shopping after work on Friday and made it less than 90 minutes before I was ready to PASS OUT. I barely made it home. Why is shopping so exhausing? I've never understood that. It's not like you're breaking a sweat. But it really wears me right out.

Anyway, we came back home and after a big nap for Geoff and a mini-nap & some reading for me (Lauren Bacall's "By Myself and Then Some" - really enjoying it), I did some "gardening".


I have no idea what the seed will turn into, by the way. Zero. Anyone know what it is? It looked kind of like a black and white striped pumpkin seed, but smelled like flowers. It will be kind of fun to be surprised. 'Course, I suppose it would be helpful to know how much sun & water it needs.... Well, we're pretty fly-by-the seat-of-our-pants in this family, so Plant #3 will either have to learn to be cool with that, or not.

We shall see how the new addition fares...

3 comments:

beckley said...

that's a sunflower seed. i hope you have high ceilings :) it'll be fun!

fun story. you guys have fun weekends.
and i look forward to seeing the photo shoot.

r

Deb Schwabe said...

I concur. A sunflower seed. Golly day you have healthy basil! Can't wait to see what the pots of basil outside at the Cape look like after all this rain and dampness. Probably rotted out! BooHoo.
Another morning of FOG here. Two straight weeks. I mean really.
see you very soon, sweetness!
love the blog!
xoxox

Geoffrey R. Boka said...

How incredibly appropriate for our Tuscan honeymoon inspired kitchen garden!! I've never seen more sunflowers than when we were driving through Tuscany! I love it.