Sunday, June 7, 2009

Cheese: Lover of my soul

I am a cheese lover. There is little else as pleasing as cheese. Cheese is perhaps God's smartest creation - at least in the world of food. And I guess technically it does not grow from the ground, so He didn't make it all by His lonesome, but I am incredibly grateful that God made some man or woman smart enough to invent it all those thousands of years ago. I didn't really ever realize the amazing combinations and healing powers of cheese until I moved to New York. Where I learned to appreciate Wine and Cheese. Cheese pairings. Manchego with chutney. Parmesan Reggiano with dates. Brie with Raspberry Preserves. Aged cheddar with carmel popcorn. Or whatever they pair with Carmel popcorn at Casellula, my favorite cheese & wine cafe in Hell's Kitchen.

Cheese (and wine) are a balm to a weary soul. Particularly to those souls who have fought the masses and the unprecedented LONG lines at Old Navy on a hot Sunday afternoon just to buy a pair of shorts for the summer. Tired, grumpy and sore of feet, having not eaten since brunch 5 hours ago , those souls made their way to their local wine & cheese bar, sat by the open window, and nearly as soon as the cheese was ordered and the pino grigio was delivered, they felt their worries and frustration slip away, to be replaced by....

cool summer breezes
incomparable people, baby and dog watching
thoughts of Italy
dreams for the future
love for one another

Yet another day saved....by wine and cheese. It shall not be the last...

3 comments:

Courtney said...

love you, funny girl!
{for me it would be a chocolate chip cookie and a diet coke...}

Michelle said...

Can you believe that Mike only likes cheddar?? I try to tell him how much he missing out on....

And once I'm done with my cheese I'll join Courtney with her chocolate chip cookies and Coke!

the little owl said...

This post (among a myriad of other reasons) is why you are my best friend. I whole-heartedly concur. I look forward to wine & cheese dates in July!!