Monday, June 22, 2009

More Adventures in Cooking

Since we're growing basil constantly in our kitchen windowsill, I've needed to trim back the plants several times. A few weeks ago I trimmed one and made bruschetta. Yum. Well this weekend, I trimmed the other one and made my first attempt at homemade pesto. Also Yum.


Couple of things we learned along the way:
1) Better to roast the garlic first, as the raw garlic will give you breath of fire.

2) Although some websites say making it in a blender makes it smoother, there are drawbacks. Pouring the olive oil in while the blender is ON (and the lid is OFF) made for a very basil-spattered wall. And spattered pictures on said wall. And spattered me. And spattered fridge (which is actually on the other side of the kitchen - slightly amazing that it ended up there too).

3) Better to get a food processor and make it in there, so that the blender won't have hints of garlic in it when you make your morning protein shake.

4) I need small dip-sized Tupperware containers. I have none and therefore no great way to store the leftovers

All in all though, it was tasty. Will try some tonight and see just how much more potent the garlic is after a day of "marinating" in itself, so to speak.

Hm... Or maybe I'll bring it to the office tomorrow and let my co-workers finish it off.....

2 comments:

Courtney said...

do you have ice cube trays?? you could freeze some in one of those...then pop them out into baggies to save for later! :-)

Christy said...

that looks AWESOME!!!

I def have basil that's about to DIE if I don't trim it and I don't know what to do w it! Maybe we'll have pesto tonight!!!
xoxoxo