Wednesday, November 25, 2009

A Nightstand Speak Volumes (Get it? Volumes?)


These are the books on my nightstand. I think it could be argued that they say a lot about me. Lets look....

1. Two copies of Real Simple, which I just love.

2. That journal there is a dream journal that a friend gave me in college after I regaled him with all the bizarre dreams I have...involving Pippi Longstocking, Laura Ingalls Wilder, band practice in an old red barn (that I was leading, somehow, even though I only have ever played piano), A Midsummer Night's Dream and magic balloons (and that was all in one dream). I don't write in as often as I used to, but I keep it there just in case.

3. Girl Meets God is memoir about a girl who was grew up with a Baptist mother and Jewish father, embraced Judaism in college and was drawn to Christianity as a young adult. An interesting journey of faith. I'm only halfway through.

4. Wild Decembers is fiction...a story about love and feuding families in Ireland. A little romance and a little drama. Love it. I'm only one chapter in, so we'll see how it goes.

5. Errol Flynn, The Untold Story speaks to my love of biographies of people from old Hollywood. I've read Katherine Hepburn's, Lauren Bacall's, Moss Hart's and Eli Wallach's biographies to name a few. Apparently (though I'm not that far into it yet, Errol Flynn was actually a Nazi spy. I had no idea.)

So to review, from this we can learn that I am interested in:
1. Things related to making my life simpler (in fashion, beauty, cooking, organization, life). TRUE.
2. Journaling and dreams. TRUE.
3. Journeys of faith (especially those that are unconventional). TRUE.
4. Good stories, romance and drama. TRUE (and on a daily basis please)
5. History and lives of interesting people who have gone before me. TRUE.

And apparently I'm also interested in not finishing one book before I begin another.


In contrast, what's on Geoff's beside table you may ask?...

Politics
Religion
Finances
Business


Puke.
(OK, puke except for the religion part, 'cause I guess I've got some of that too).

Very very different themes. But that's us. But with a little bit of crossover. And I'm glad he can read all about the stuff that would put me right to sleep. I guess someone should.

But my personal favorite on his bedside table...? A tiny little blue volume called "Don'ts for Husbands". I got it for him as a joke last year. Written by a woman in the 1800s I think. Love that he keeps it on his nightstand. Can't promise he's read any of it of his own volition. But then again, he's doing just fine without it.

And that ends today's self-reflection. We're headed to see family for the holidays. Happy Thanksgiving to all!

2 comments:

the little owl said...

GIrl Meets God is one of my favorite books! Her other book "Mudhouse Sabbath" is another favorite - goes more in depth about the things we as Christians can learn from some traditional Jewish customs and holidays. LOVE it. And completely relate to it.

Michelle said...

I miss hearing about your crazy dreams.....they always have the most detail!