Thursday, November 19, 2009

Minimalism on Display

I was wondering when we'd venture into Thanksgiving decorations at our building. I mean, given all the other special celebratory displays we've seen thus far, I was interested to see what kinds of treasures would come out of the woodwork. Pilgrims? Cornucopias? Various vegetables from the squash family? I was hoping for Cornucopias at a minimum. Well, either Frank & Ifan (our Building Manager & Super) have been reading my blog and have taken my mocking to heart, or they just were going for something a bit more subtle. Something a little simpler. Classier. Perhaps they are realizing that less is more.


Now, this is Queens minimilism at its finest. They really paired it down. Just Tom the Pilgrim Turkey and that tiny little poster on the front door. And they even killed two birds with one stone with this "He's a turkey AND a Pilgrim" combination. Well, it is a recession after all. Times is hard.

However, I do think Tom's general size, color and crazy cartoon bug eyes does put us just out of being labeled as "classy design asthetic". But perhaps it is at least a step in the right direction. Things may be looking up.

Though I bet you anything I will be eating my words come Christmas....

5 comments:

Deb Schwabe said...

You are hilarious! Thanks for this post. I'm liking the minimalism...ol' Tom Pilgrim Turkey!

Christy said...

HA!!!! :)

Geoffrey R. Boka said...

I laughed out loud about that baby. oh man, Tom the pilgrim Turkey. hysterical writing. damn. Pioneer Woman has got nothing on you!

Michelle said...

I love it! Can't wait for Christmas!!

Ariel said...

I too can't wait to see what Christmas will bring.

Oh.. Garrett just discovered the dogs on your side bar. I've had to look at every dog about five times now. Not that I don't like the dogs... i'm just done now ;)

Oh oh.... I am, somehow, going to prebook yourself and Geoff for our next family shoot. I just did one with a photographer here and I am less than pleased. I love your work. What do you say? Any dates free in 2011? We'll come to you.