Thursday, November 5, 2009

For the Ladies

Ok, clearly I am coming late to the party and you guys must already know all about the Pioneer Woman blog. She left her city life to marry an actual cowboy and live on a ranch. And she basically has 5 blogs within her blog. Please tell me she has a staff, because I don't know how she does it all. I can barely manage two puny posts a week.

My friend Ariel linked this part of the blog on her own blog a few weeks ago and I've been reading it in stolen snatches at work ever since. It's the story of how she met her husband. She's a terrific writer and I would so be friends with her if we met in real life. We think the same way.

For example.... in the entry where her husband proposes (and that doesn't spoil anything, because we alreay know they end up getting married) I totally identified/loved with her preconceived notions about marriage....


"Marry you? My mind raced a mile a minute. Ten miles a second. I had three million thoughts all at once, and my heart pounded in my chest.

Marry you? But then I’d have to cut my hair short. Married women have short hair, and they get it fixed at the beauty shop.

Marry you? But then I’d have to make casseroles.

Marry you? But then I’d have to wear yellow rubber gloves to do the dishes."



The one about short hair made me laugh out loud. Don't worry Pioneer Woman, I've managed a year and a half of marriage without doing any of those things. And probably never will. But I bet she's already figured that out.

I highly recommend her story. Read about it here.

5 comments:

Courtney said...

she's the best.
i remember reading that whole story as she was posting it.

another blogger friend MET her last week! {at a book signing!}

Kate and Geoff said...

i stalk another blog that met her too. i want to go to her house for wine and horseback riding. but not in that order maybe.

Michelle said...

Yes! I've been reading Pioneer Women for years. I keep thinking I may see her because her sister (with the baby boy) lives in Austin! And I've loved some of her recipes!

Michelle said...

P.S. She's doing a book signing here in town in Dec I think and I'm totally planning to go with my friend!

Ariel said...

Kate,
If you get to go to a book signing, get a singed copy for me, please!! I'll pay you back. It's clear that my job isn't really all that important because, not only did I read the whole story of how she met Marlboro Man, but I went on to read about her children, ancestors and every recipe posted on the blog. I LOVE her!! I relate to her on a lot of levels. Moving to Texas after Paris, France was earth shattering. Marrying a man with a truck and a gun was scary :) I'm glad you are getting a chance to read her blog.
Ariel