Saturday, August 22, 2009

Steamy Saturday

Met Alison and Stephen for brunch at Havana this morning in the West Village. One of our favorite places in the city for brunch. Great Cuban food and excellent cafe con leche. We decided to go at the last minute. This is our first whole weekend off together in...6 weeks? I don't even remember. We had planned to wall ourselves off for the whole weekend. We need it. But Stephen was in town and well...there was also the promise of sangria. Twist my arm.

After brunch we walked with them through the steam bath that was the NYC streets. Good Lord it was humid. Hurricane Bill was making his presence known. And we were watching him encroach on the city via the weather map on Geoff's iPhone. We heard there had been a torrential downpour on the Upper West Side, but it hadn't hit the West Village yet. Weird how that happens.

Definitely stopped into a pet store where Alison and I both fell in love with 10 week old yellow French Bulldogs.

O
M
G

French Bulldogs who unfortunately were "on sale" for $2400. Someone should tell the owners of that pet store that $2400 is actually not a sale price. Regardless, I was so Involved and In Love that I completely forgot to take a picture of them. My heart also broke over a brown & gray speckled Bulldog with a fierce under bite and a very sleepy Boxer.

After stopping for iced coffee at Joe (which I'd been craving for a week since I had it with Alison during the previous post - and I also love them because their colors are brown and blue. please.), we took another quick pass through the farmer's market before getting on the subway and heading home.

I couldn't resist these. Growing up, my mom LOVED radishes. Craved them all the time. Mom, these are for you...



Also took a little subway photography on the way home...


Was digging this couple in front of us who were half talking/half snuggling the whole ride. Was taking this super sniper-style, but kinda liked this one...


I love this guy a little bit.


Train arriving across the platform...yes this picture is crooked and I like it.


This, I have to admit, was an accident. I had intended to get a shot of the guy in the foreground reading the paper, but since I was all sniper-style, all camera-in-my-lap-no-i'm-not-really-taking-a-picture style, I couldn't tell where the focus was until after. But I sorta love this shot. Happy accidents.


We got home and are now officially hibernating until Monday. Happy rest of the weekend to you all...

4 comments:

beckley said...

ha! funny!
i totally sniper shot all day at our farmer's market where I TRIED to take a picture FOR YOU of a french bulldog...or english..or french...anyway, i tried but he charged me, and even my sniper shots were rebuked.

ah. all while drinking iced coffee. but we don't have a subway. something about it being milwaukee.

if i ever get my kitchen cleaned, i will post my shots from the farmer's market today. i was all poised to dig in and get some great I Love Veggies shots, but it was so crowded (and the farmers were raising eyebrows at me) that I had to switch into sniper-slow and snap mode. it was a bummer, but still fun none the less.

okay, cleaning.
but, the dog was cute and totally you would have loved her. until she ate the nikon.

Deb Schwabe said...

those are the most beautiful radishes!!! Thank you for thinking of me!
xoxoxoxo

Leah said...

Kate, please do me a favor. Go to Jacques Torres Chocolate
66 Water Street Brooklyn, NY 11201
and get the spicey hot chocolate (okay maybe when it's a bit cooler outside). it was on the food network last night and i'm dying to try it. you're the closest person I know in NYC so I figure this is something I'll have to experience vicariously. :)

the little owl said...

I posted shots of our little Frenchie on Facebook. Feel free to swipe them to post on here, if you so desire. I may post them on mine, too... but really, they were so cute their pictures should be posted as many places as possible for all the world to see.