Thursday, August 20, 2009

Farmer's Market


Last Friday I left work early. We're supposed to get off at 2pm every Friday in the summer, but with my job we rarely actually do. Well, I defied them all and bought tickets online for a 3pm Time Traveller's Wife (not the worlds greatest movie, but Rachel McAdams was amazing and I definitely cried at least 3 times, so just perfect for a summer Friday).

After the movie we had about an hour to kill before going to see our friend Marisa's show on Long Island. So we wandered through the Union Square Farmer's Market. Now, I LOVE a farmer's market. Particularly this one. I will never forget the morning of my friend Megan's wedding two years ago when Marisa, Alison & I went to this very farmer's market to buy a bunch of flowers and then took them to the church and created the centerpieces for their reception. One of my favorite NYC memories.

Well, Alison instantly bought some blackberries, so she could make a tart. Clearly. I heard later it was a blackberry tequila lime tart. Um. Can you imagine?

I didn't have my real camera with me...just my little digital point & shoot....but took a ton of pics.

Tomatoes...as far as the eye can see...


Peaches in a wooden crate. Clearly. My friend Courtney & her family go to a farm every weekend in the summer and pick their own fruit. This is my version of it.


Endless produce




Hanging Peaches...


Flowers in galvanized buckets!! I was BESIDE myself and took a zillion pictures of them. I love things in galvanized buckets.


Alison loved these flowers when she was a kid. I can't remember what their called, but when she was younger she thought they looked like brains.


Plants - I love them. I want to buy them all. I want a garden!


As we were walking to Penn station, sadly leaving the Farmer's Market, we saw this lady. Wish I could have snapped her from the front. She had an amazingly huge pink cowgirl hat and I think huge pink sunglasses. She is amazing. And hopefully, she is also headed to the Farmer's Market before she goes to her gig. Man, I hope so.

7 comments:

Christy said...

Gorgeous pictures!!!
thank you for taking us with you :)
uh, and all those with a point & shoot--
girl, you are getting some talent!!!

xoxoxoxoxo!!!
miss you sweet friend! :)

beckley said...

galvanized buckets+me=LOOOOOOO-HOVE!

so fun. jealous of your NYC farmer's market.
you can come visit my garden.
i'll come visit your farmer's market...in NYC :)

i wish all of life either had a little i in front of it, or was in a galvanized bucket.

have a good day.
rachel mcadams is a fun actress to watch, huh? i wish she got better content. she's fun.

okay...off with me.

Courtney said...

fun pictures!
oh, and thanks for the pushup challenge! i'm excited about it!! :-)

Deb Schwabe said...

I think the flower is called celosia - close...I'll look it up.
LOVED the beautiful produce and flowers. I ache for such a resource close at hand. But I live on an island, and there ain't no such thing.
Thanks for this great blog!

Deb Schwabe said...

Ok, yes it is celosia, sometimes called cockscomb. Another name was wooly celosia, or brain celosia! Howboutda'one?

the little owl said...

I love how these simple 'point-n-shoot' pics came out so lovely! I might ask permission to steal the blackberry sign shot for my upcoming tequila lime tart post.

What a fun day that was! We need to do that more often...

Megan said...

k, so a few things here:
-thanks for linking my blog ;)
-thanks for the farmers market flower gathering extravaganza being one of your fav memories, I'm oh so grateful for that! the skillz of you ladies that day was wonderous!
-and clearly, your photo skills are AWESOME! look at you not having your 'real camera' with you & having amazing shots!
talent sistah!