Monday, February 9, 2009

Sunday in the Park with Geoff

We had a lovely weekend. Truly truly lovely. The first weekend in a long time were I felt like we really had a weekend. Fun, rest, and quality time was involved. We saw movies and tried a new wine bar down the block from our house, which was quite nice. The wine bar itself was fine, perfectly pleasant, AND has windows that I bet will make it like an open air café in the spring & summer, but it was the fact that it was impromptu, and like a little date, and we really talked to each other. Like, really Talked. About things we were thinking and feeling. It's amazing how hard it is to make that happen on a daily basis. So I'm super grateful for it.


And so Sunday dawned, and when we checked the weather and saw that it was going to be a high of 57 at 10am but would be cooling off after around 3pm, we literally jumped out of bed to get ready for our Day of Fun. We headed into the city and oddly enough, when we got off the bus at 57th & 5th, it was cold, and cloudy and started to rain. Um. What? It passed quickly and we headed into the park. We took lots o' pictures. Shocking, I know.

Love these cute friends...




We walked around a bit snapping things here and there. I was kind of obsessed with this couple. Or at least with her boots.


And this woman with her stroller


And this bridge/stairs/arches




And we came upon Cyril in the park, having a snack (and I consequently had a dream last night that we woke up this morning to him doing this at the end of our bed).


And we came upon these people making their own movie of some kind.


And then we sat on a bench in the sun and watched the world go by. And Geoff snapped this series of this couple, which I LOVE.





Then, ready to warm up (it didn't really feel quite like 57 degrees after all) we walked from Central Park southwest a few blocks to Rosa Mexicana for a late lunch. Which was YUM. And on the way there was this awesome patch of sunlight on the sidewalk as we passed Lincoln Center. And Geoff took some awesome shots of me. I love him for his talent of always shooting me from flattering angles. He must love me or something.


The sun was clearly awesome. And he pointed out that the reasons his shots on this block turned out better than some of mine, all had to do with where I was standing when he took them. There was a mirrored awning that was right in front of me which the sunlight bounced off of to light my face AND yet still have me backlit. He always makes me feel like a real actual model. Which is fun. Considering that I am not.


After lunch we headed to the dog park at 72nd and Riverside Park, in the hopes of seeing some cute puppies. Which we did.


Heading home over the Queensboro Bridge


Then we headed home and enjoyed the late afternoon sunlight in our bedroom. A lovely end to a lovely day.

7 comments:

Courtney said...

wow. yay for quality time. yay for fun pictures (i can't pick my favorite one! well, maybe the ones with YOU in them!)

Christy said...

ummm yes, LOVING these gorgeous pictures...and your life...and the fact you had a chance to be a PERSON and live life and not be at a play :) ha! just kidding...i love you! LOVE getting to see your life..and the pictures of YOU are gorgeous!

Geoffrey R. Boka said...

yeah i could pretty much take pictures of Kate all day long. no end to the fun expressions and cute looks she has!

Deb Schwabe said...

Absolutely beautiful! Thanks for sharing it all in words and pictures. I think some of those shots with arches should be in New York magazines! The Queensborough bridge too! SO ARTISTIC!!!!
And my Kate is stunningly beautiful!!! You're both awesome photographers.
love you!

Michelle said...

I'm so glad you were able to catch up with Cyril and see how he was doing! ;) So glad you had a fun, semi-warm day together!

Leah said...

L-O-V-E-D your day!! :) So sweet!

beckley said...

love it.
great shots.
your're shooting with the new camera--what's geoff shooting those shots of you with? a fixed lens/ap or a manual fix? b/c i'm never that fast to lock my aperature on a busy street to grab the perfect shot, so i'm impressed...these are the things i'm not yet good at with small humans hanging off me while i shoot :)