Thursday, October 9, 2008

An Unexpected Guest

Well, what an adventure we had this morning. I was all ready for work, sitting on the bed chatting with Geoff for a few minutes before heading out the door when we heard the wind blowing the blinds quite violently. Which was odd, because though the window was open, the blinds weren't actually moving that much. Then I had an unusual sense that we were not alone. And sure enough, moments later, the little head of a SQUIRREL peeked out from behind our curtain. He was on our windowsill ON THE INSIDE! IN OUR BEDROOM! I screamed like a girl and lept off the bed, backing out of the room and alerting Geoff to his presense.

Geoff told me to calm down, it was only a squirrel. Which was true. And at least it wasn't a scorpion or armadillo, which my friends Mike & Michelle have to worry about. But as you may remember from my recent post about Colette, I don't do well when wild animals show up in my home unannounced. We learned this morning that this does indeed apply to squirrels as well as mice.

Meanwhile, Geoff tried to usher the little guy out. And told me to grab the camera. Now, screens did not come with our apartment, so we bought some ajustable screens from Home Depot and have installed one in just one window of our bedroom (after wrestling for a good hour to get the childproof bars off just one window, we have momentarily given up on the rest). Now, after we installed it, we noticed that when the bottom part of the window is open (i.e. the window is not closed and locked) the top half of the window slides down a little bit, leaving between 2-4" gap at the top of the window where there is no screen. We think that's how he got in.

Another thing I learned this morning - squirrels can really climb. In a way that is disturbing.


Here's our buddy Cyril, (yes, we named him), trying to high tail it away from us. I think he looks kind of like a cartoon.


Cyril really wishing he could get the hell out of here.


And yet, admiring our view. Which was nice of him, considering he must have been having a panic attack.


Cyril being bashful.


Cyril being sassy and attempting to wink at me I think.


My reaction to it all. I needed a moment.


And then I could not stop laughing.


Certainly not the way I expected to start my morning. Not remotely. Can't believe I was such a damsel in distress about it either. SO glad Geoff was home. Even the pictures kinda make my hair stand on end a little bit, if I think about it too much. Now, squirrels are cute and fun in a park or any other of their natural habitats. Our bedroom just doesn't happen to be one of them.

7 comments:

Michelle said...

That is so unbelievable...I can't believe Cyril was INSIDE your apartment! At least most of our wildlife stays outside. I'm so glad Geoff had the presence of mind to get the camera...I love him for that.

the little owl said...

I love this post. Truly. I mean, I'm sorry you had to go through it - but I am so glad that it wasn't me. And you guys got some fierce pictures out of the deal... it's like Cyril was posing for you or something. Maybe he had heard about your blog and wanted to join in the fun...

The one question I have for you - and you may hate me for this - is... how long had be been IN your apartment before you saw him? I mean, did he spend the night?

Leah said...

Oh my gosh! I can not believe you got so many good pictures. And to think, that little Cyril is as cute as a button. Crazy morning adventure.

Tracy said...

That was such a great post. I'm amazed at all the great shots you got of the squirrel. It was as if he was on a photo shoot.

Michelle said...

PS - Mike's favorite part of this post was checking out your large TV! ;)

Deb Schwabe said...

Are your rabies shots up to date?
The Mom

Christy said...

that was THE SCARIEST blog I have read in my life! Seriously!! I still have goosebumps from those pictures---yes, we have a few windows without screens and there's no way in HECK I'm opening them now...I had no idea squirrels were so eager to socialize with humans??!!!! :) LOVE YOU!