Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Quest

When we were dating, Geoff took stock of my still very poor college student bedroom furniture (dresser from my highschool bedroom, my dad's old tool storage bookshelf turned on its side and draped with a sheet as a "vanity", wobbly circular bedside table also draped with a sheet with glass on top - and pictures under the glass, of course) and encouraged me to upgrade a bit. Why was I so into draping things in sheets? Come to think of it, I'm almost positive there were storage boxes draped in a blanket in there too. What was I thinking?

Well I saved up and bought a matching desk, nightstand and dresser (which looks like this, you may remember. And felt like such the grown up. Granted I bought it from good ole Bob's Discount Furniture (since we know how cheap/thrifty I am), but it's still in good shape. Geoff even encouraged me to get the matching blanket chest. Which I did. It sits in our front hallway below our picture wall and does, in fact, store blankets.

The problem? When we bought the new furniture, I was in a different apartment, using a different bed, which was pushed up against the wall. Thereby, only needing or having room for one nightstand. We're still using this furniture and now need two nightstands. They have since discontinued the line of furniture at good ole Bob's and we've been searching through their damamaged/used/returned items every couple of months for the past three years. We have yet to find one. Poor Geoff is making do, but I would reeeeeeeeeeeeeally like to find something better. Even other stores don't seem to have a similar style/color that would match. I've all but given up. People say I should get something contrasty, like a mirrored nightstand or something.

Like this maybe?


Which I do like the idea of, but my guess is Geoff would want the solid wood one and I'd get the mirrored one on my side. Which I'd like. Except I cannot keep things looking nice and it would be covered in fingerprints in about 5 seconds flat. And stay that way permanently.

Although, I just noticed that Crate and Barrel has this.


It matches! But honestly C&B? $500?? I bought basically this exact thing at good ole Bob's for $199.

Get over yourself.

2 comments:

Annie Carpenter said...

Have you looked at Cost Plus World Market? They are totally affordable and may have something similar? Crate and Barrell is TOTALLY overprice- glorious but overpriced. I have also had lots of good experience with Pier One.

Miss you!

LL said...

I've had good luck with Overstock, and based on the picture you posted, I found this for the same price you paid for the first one. And with shipping at $2.95, you can't beat that for furniture!

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Aristo-2-drawer-Nightstand/2676395/product.html

Also:
This is $115... http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Ellsworth-Espresso-Tall-2-drawer-Night-Stand/3917800/product.html?rcmndsrc=2

And $92...
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Ellsworth-Espresso-2-drawer-Nightstand/3917785/product.html?rcmndsrc=2