Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Barn Girls Take DC


It was all over far too quickly. This past weekend I skipped out on shooting weddings and headed to Northern Virginia for a girls weekend with the 8 ladies I lived with in college. I'm amazed every time I see them at how much we as a collective unit have dealt with. Good and bad. And as always, its good to feel known, supported, encouraged and loved for exactly right where you are. Not always perfectly so, but we don't strive for perfection, we strive for genuine relationships.

We're all quite different...in personality, in faith, in politics, in opinions, but I think it's safe to say we all take comfort, refuge and encourgement from being around people who want to really know you and who do their very best to listen, love and ask questions that help you to grow. I know I for one was HUNGRY for this weekend. I needed it. I needed to get out of the city. I needed a weekend with more than 1 day off. I needed time with girlfriends. I needed to be with people who have known me for almost half my life.

We spent a lot of time here:


Doing a lot of this:




And as I looked back through my pictures, we also spent a lot of time listening. Which I love. I love that I have so many photos of us listening to each other...







There were wonderful breakfasts, amazing margaritas, a zillion kinds of desserts, and a fantastic dinner out at a local restaurant featuring a tomato & feta salad that I will dream of for possibly the rest of my life. For serious.

There was this gorgeous butterfly who was digging hanging out with us in the backyard.


There were lemon & sugar facials on Sunday morning that were super simple and pretty stinkin' impressive. And came complete with a crazy instruction video.


And there was not nearly enough time with this guy.


Ali's youngest, Ryan, who is about 4 months old and possibly the most perfect angel child there ever was. He never cried once the whole weekend. And he makes the most amazing faces.




He even got in on the Listening...


And he's such a cuddler



I love these friends






Kate, Mary, Michelle, Courtney, Christy, Kathy, Becca & Ali


And yes, you are not mistaken, that is an Actual Barn near Courtney's house that we were able to take a picture next to. Come on...how perfect is that?


Girls, I miss you already. You can find more pictures (and an extensive photo shoot of Ryan) here. I'm already thinking about the next reunion. I'm thinking late summer 2011 at Cape Cod....who's in?

6 comments:

Christy said...

AMAZING!!!
Thank you so much for posting these--you did SUCH a great job of capturing the love...

MISS you so much already... :)

The Cape??? I'm IN!!!!!!!!! :)

Courtney said...

wow...LOVE those pictures of the "listening"!

and i'm in, too!

Michelle said...

So fun to see all these pictures.....can't believe it's already over. I'll see you ALL at the Cape!!

Ali said...

THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for all the pics of Ryan. I LOVE them and of all the girls too. Such sweet photos of us. Can't you just imagine us in 20 years looking at these.
miss you!

Deb Schwabe said...

Such a heart warming telling of your time together. Ah, the listening. Precious, precious friends....for a lifetime.
Wish I could snuggle Ryan. No pressure, Kate.
I believe the beautiful butterfly is a tiger swallowtail.
love you ladies!

the little owl said...

These photos are amazing! Looks like you all had a great time. One question, though: Can I be an honorary Barn Girl for the next reunion at the Cape?!?! I'll even willingly go through some sort of initiation process if needed. :)