Friday, June 4, 2010

Organic Farming - Week 1: Red Celery?

We picked up our first batch of organic fruit & vegetables yesterday. We are splitting a veggie share with our neighbors and have a fruit share all to ourselves. I knew there would be some things delivered that I wouldn't know what to do with, and boy did they start us off with a bang!


OK: strawberries, radishes, Boston Lettuce, Arugula, Romaine - those I could identify. I was pretty confident that those white things with leafy stems were turnips. And while I initially thought I was looking at red celery (?!), a quick internet search confirmed the suspicion that it was rhubarb. Surprisingly, the thing that took the longest to identify was a leafy green that was a little red/purple at the stem. Figured it was some kind of lettuce, but when I mentioned the red stem to Mom over the phone, she thought it might be Swiss Chard. Turns out it's just plain ole spinach.

I feel this will be a very educational experience for me.

I think I may attempt some sort of Strawberry Rhubarb something-or-other on Sunday. And I will definitely be making a ton of salad dressing to go with all those greens.

Now, what on earth do you do with a turnip?

2 comments:

Mandy said...

We ended up with turnips a couple summers ago, and I had the same reaction - what to do?! I ended up chopping them like I would potatoes and roasting with olive oil, salt, and pepper - YUM!!! I actually prefer them over potatoes, now! (Long story short - I treat them exactly like potatoes

Beth said...

I was gonna say, too, that the only thing I've ever done w a turnip is roast it.... I did it in the fall with winter vegetables, like sweet potatoes, carrots and randomly parnsip. Sounds fun. Enjoy all that yummy freshness!