Friday, June 11, 2010

Like Real New Yorkers


We were kind of like real New Yorkers on Wednesday night. Our friend Greg King had made a documentary with his friend David Teague and it was screening at the Brooklyn International Film Festival in Williamsburg. So, like real cultured people who aren't tied with a ball and chain to their respective jobs, we went.

It. Was. Awesome.

1) The film was great. BEAUTIFULLY shot. Which is no surprise. Because when Greg has shot for us in the past, his stuff is always gorgeous. So much so that when we talk about needing to get some really pretty, beautifully composed shots, we actually call them "Greg Shots". That's our shorthand. And when we told him that, he claims that half the shots in the film we thought were "Greg Shots", were actually "David Shots". So....a talented pair of guys, basically.

The film is called Our House.
I think the tagline on their website sums it up pretty well:

Our House
Illegal squatters. Anarchist radicals. Devout Christians.


Here's a trailer... It's an older version of the trailer (because it's all I could find online to embed here).

'Our House' movie trailer from Greg King on Vimeo.


2. We spent the evening in Brooklyn. Which, as a borough, I love more and more every time I'm there. Even though I don't quite fit in entirely. I don't wear flannel shirts and leggings. I'm not incredibly alternative or indie. I don't know all the cool bands. My world is a little more Ann Taylor Loft than Beacon's Closet or American Apparel. But I sure do dig Brooklyn. And there I was - on a Wednesday night, just hanging out at a film festival, going for beers afterwards (you know I'm more of a wine person) and even wearing my glasses, all Brooklyn-like. It was pretty rad. And I loved it.

3. It was great to see some friends I don't hang out with all that often and feel enough like a normal person, who might just, oh, go to Brooklyn on a Wednesday for a film festival and then, oh, I don't know - go to an AWESOME Beer Garden (which looks like it should be a tavern in a Lord of the Rings movie) a few blocks away and hang out with Greg & David and our friend Joanna until 1230am. And talk about film. And life. And relationships. And meet Greg's awesome girlfriend, Ashley. It was a nice change from my life of schlepping to every play in town before it closes.

Here is the world's darkest iPhone picture of my new favorite Lord of the Rings Beer Garden.


I like to be a real person sometimes. And step a little outside myself.

2 comments:

Megan said...

super cool film preview! (i think i know the dude derek, in the dreads, one of the 'house fathers') anywhooo....looks pretty dang amazing what those guys are doing.

Ariel said...

Thank you so much for sharing that trailer. I loved it. I wish I could see it in it's entirety. What an amazing project!