Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Brownies and Beans

That's what I had for dinner on Sunday night.

After a week or so of complete madness at work, I laid pretty low on Saturday. I was tired, but more than that, mostly just brain dead. You know, the kind where you can't really think of anything interesting to say. I think I probably just looked around blankly for most of the day. I remember making breakfast. I remember it was all of 19 degrees but the weatherman said it felt like 4. So we did not venture outside at all. I think we hung out in The Cabana. I know I watched a little HGTV. Sometimes, when my mind is numb and tired, all I want to do is watch House Hunters on HGTV and live vicariously. I know I did more than that. But I think I was so brain dead that's about all I remember.

Sunday I had recovered and things are bit clearer. Took a big walk, ran some errands and shopped at a real grocery store. Stop & Shop. It was so luxurious. Alison was planning to come to dinner, so I'd found some fun recipes to try and wanted to get it all in one place, not have to try three different stores to find the right fresh herbs. We were perusing the Pyrex storage containers when Alison called to tell us she had a nasty cold. We decided it would be best for her not to venture out in the frigid temperatures and to stay home and get some rest. So I put back some of the fancy ingredients and we decided on salmon and green beans for dinner and just an easy night at home. I'm saving the fun recipes for when Alison comes next weekend.

We had bought this frozen salmon to try, because who doesn't like a healthy quick dinner option? (Sidebar: I fear this is shaping up to be the most boring blog post ever. My brain dead antics and frozen salmon for dinner? Really, that's the best I can do? Feel free to stop reading, I wouldn't blame you) . Well, I ended up HATING the salmon. Freezing fish is dicey in my book. I think I'm against it entirely. So I just ate beans. These beans - I made them without the prosciutto, but still a great recipe. And we made brownies as a treat. And watched Chocolat. Beans and Brownies and Juliette Binoche. And can I say...? We had the BEST time.

And I discovered (for the second time actually) how much that movie speaks to so much of who I am. Someone once told me that he thought I loved the movie because Juliette Binoche is a traveller and never puts down roots. Which he thought I related to because we moved around so much as a military family. I suppose that could be true. But it's really more of Juliette Binoche's character that I relate to. Geoff pointed this out actually. She is warm. She is welcoming to everyone. She wants to reach out and care for people. She creates amazing food. She's irreverent but still a lady. She's independent. She's intuitive about people and a good listener. She wants nothing to do with a religion that is all about rules and what you must DO to be good enough. She is all about extending grace to people. Even the people who hurt her. **SPOILER ALERT** When Alfred Molina's character, who has been against her from the start, wakes up in her shop window Easter morning covered and smeared in chocolate, she offers him a tonic and voluntarily tells him that his secret is safe with her. So, I identify with her. I feel that I have some similarities with her. And there are things about her that I want to be. And for that reason, I could watch this movie over and over again.

Two other movies I could watch over and over again.....Love Actually and A League of Their Own. Wonder what those movies say about me....?

1 comment:

Natalie Hill said...

i'm so with you...
chocolat, love, actually and sleepless in seattle, sense and sensibility.... along with the bridget joneses are the FEW movies i could watch forever and ever...