Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A NYC Send Off


This past weekend we got together with friends to send Stephen off to the Congo (he leaves this weekend) and Alison off on the Fiddler on the Roof National Tour. Sad to see them both go, but they'll each only be gone a couple of months and then hopefully Alison will be back in the city. Stephen will be back and forth from the Congo every couple of months for at least a year I think. They are such dear friends to me and the three of us were quite the musketeers. I shall miss them. BUT I shall be excited to hear about all their adventures!

We met for dinner at this great restaurant in Nolita called PUBLIC. It used to be an old post office and the decor was super cool. They still had the old mailboxes on the wall and the glass garage door at what used to be the loading dock but it now of course, full of tables.

This is about the only picture I took all night (Geoff took the rest). And I now officially have a thing for using mirrors in photographs.


The Food. Was. Amazing. Even though I consider myself a Cape Cod girl, it has taken me YEARS to warm up to specific kinds of seafood. As a kid I ONLY liked swordfish, and only because my grandfather used to grill it and I thought it tasted like steak. After college I branched out a little and liked shrimp. Then once I moved to NYC, I finally tried sushi. I still only really like tuna and sometimes salmon rolls. But I will now eat tuna, mahi-mahi, salmon. But still didn't like a ton of shellfish. Scallops and oysters were a definite no. Until PUBLIC. I now officially like them both. Holy crap, was it good.

Geoff snapped this in the middle of a very animated story. Love it. No, he didn't actually punch her in the face.


Classic Kate & Alison, deep in Very Important Conversation And Problem Solving.


Geoff likes taking my picture...


Then we headed over to the 8th Street Wine Cellar to meet some more friends for drinks. We'd forgotten our good flash, but Geoff was still able to get some great pictures. These are all him, I can take no credit. And even though they are a little grainier, I think they're kinda artsy and cool.

Stephen, Nikki, Bill & Anne


Again with the mirrors...the lovely Ms Walla and the amazing Sarah Lilley.


I think the pictures get slightly less artsy here....only because Mike Minarik is pulling focus. As usual.


And again...


I will miss my friends! But we can all follow their new adventures on their blogs (which I linked above). And check out the link to the Fiddler tour...Alison (and Topol) may soon be coming to a city near you (Newark, Pittsburg, Providence, Jacksonville, Minneapolis...and more). Go see her!

1 comment:

Courtney said...

awesome! i'll be following :-)