Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Re-Entry


We're back from the Cape. We'll we've been back for a while, but computer issues have kept me from sharing. Earl kicked up a lot of fuss for no reason. But he left us with A-MAZ-ING weather for Labor Day Weekend.

Vacation is great. But always too short. The only time vacation was not to short was our 3 week honeymoon. By the end of that, we were ready to come home and start our life.

I find it takes me a couple of days to let the work stress melt away. During the rest of the year, Geoff and I usually get one day a week together (usually Sunday) and beyond that we're together daily from 10pm - 10am (or less). Most of that time, we are asleep. And as you may remember from our house rules, we are not allowed to have any real or serious conversations during those hours. We often have to break that rule out of necessity and it rarely goes well. Hence the house rule. So when we do have a whole week off it takes us a minute to adjust. To stop thinking about all the potential things we could be doing to get ahead on business stuff. To allow ourselves to dig beneath the surface and have a real conversation. Finding the balance between that and just allowing ourselves some down time to read quietly on the deck was more difficult than I thought it would be, actually. We each needed time to mentally space out, read, not have to think about anything, and we also needed time to actually KNOW each other. Which is difficult in real life with the 27 things we each have going on. I'm sure most couples experience this on some level, especially those with kids. In fact, I take comfort in the fact that at least the craziness of our current lifestyle will prepare us for the craziness of kids. It can't possibly be worse. Right? Right??!

All that being said, we managed to have a good time at the Cape. I'm convinced its one of the most beautiful places on earth. It just is. I love the history. I love the weather. I love the architecture. I love the charm. I love the fact that it feels like there is TIME there. We had some really great CONNECTING conversations that were a long time coming. We spent a lot of time on the deck. We grilled out. We went for bike rides. We read. We walked around downtown and had lunch at The Squire (Chatham's most famous restaurant/bar). We went to my favorite Home Consignment shop. We got ice cream. We took (a few) photos. We went to a great French place for dinner one night. We connected with nature and the local wildlife (pictures to come). We survived Earl. Which wasn't remotely hard to do. We made mojitos in the afternoons. We saw my brother for dinner and made s'mores on the grill. We wished we didn't have to leave.

More photos to come...

No comments: