Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Pottery Barn Just Gets Me


I was looking through my pile of catalogs a few weeks ago and stumbled upon this picture. Something in my very soul just responded to it.

1) The sunlight streaming in
2) The console itself....I have learned that I love consoles of any kind. Any time I see them in a catalog, no matter what their style - modern, classic, shabby chic, vintage - I just love them. I dream of having a place to put them. Behind a couch? Yep. In a hallway? You betcha. Against basically any available wall? Absolutely. And then I dream of just filling them with things. I like to put things in things.
3) Flowers in any kind of galvanized bucket or vase just makes my heart skip a beat.
4) The various greenery in creatively structured but believable haphazard disarray. That is so me. I like things organized but never FULLY succeed at it, so that if, for example, I'm setting up for a wine and cheese party, inevitably at least 10% of the cheese will end up in my hair. And the wine glasses will absolutely be covered in fingerprints. Hence my love of candlelight.
5) Those huge baskets on the floor. OK, lets be honest....baskets of virtually any kind. But I love things that can store other things and be pretty from the outside. (Again - putting things in things). The only kind of basket I don't love are ones that look like Easter Baskets. Unless they are being used as actual Easter Baskets. Any kind of pastel color or colored design usually kills it for me. And I tend to only like baskets with over the top handles if you are using it to shop in a farmers market or carry your gardening tools to the actual garden.
6) That actual mini-gardening basket. Yum.
7) Multiple sizes of those standard clay pots. Yes please. And that one pot on the floor that is overturned? Please. I can barely breathe when I look at it. Kinda goes back to #4 a little, but I love it so much, it gets it's own number
8) A door with glass.
9) Those mini-hydrangeas themselves. One of my all time favorite flowers.
10) How warm and welcoming it all seems. I kind of just want to hug this hallway. I picture it being so cozy. I would walk in and breathe a sigh of relief and contentment.

This picture brings me comfort. It speaks to who I am. It actually wouldn't be my very first choice of a Pottery Barn room. Some of their offices and living rooms are dream rooms and fill me with longing. Mostly because they are shot in rooms with AMAZING WINDOWS. Which I have learned is the key to all things. But still....there's just something about this picture. It UNDERSTANDS me.

It just gets me.

6 comments:

the little owl said...

What I want to know is why you didn't give those mirrors their own number. They're ridiculous.

Oh, and you're adorable with your inanimate objects getting you. :)

Christy said...

OHhhhhh...
Love it :)
I love your loves---awesome!
I LOVE it when things like that speak to me :)
I totally get ya!

xoxoxoxo!

Deb Schwabe said...

And Chandler the retriever puppy just to the right of your blog page has the look that tells you he really gets you too!
xoxoxo

now, if only he were lying on the rug....in the sunshine

Unknown said...

now i'll kill the fantasy by telling you it' s probably a staged, lit set :)

Kate and Geoff said...

Robert Norman! How could you?! I KNOW this is true but if no one says it out loud then I can pretend it's a real place!

the little owl said...

Can we talk about how I NEED you to update your blog. I depend on it, so...