Thursday, April 30, 2009

Geoff's day of Art

So its about time that I posted on here. Kate gets all the fun. I just had to share about a cool day I had yesterday when I joined up with my friends Robert Norman and Rich Esposito along with their friend Tony Fiorini to go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. What a place.



This painting has a hauntingly lifelike look to it. Its of Joan of Arc and the spirits that surrounded her before her destiny was made known. Just captivatingly beautiful.



This museum has literally acres of exhibits of works of art like this. Just gorgeous.



What I love about this museum is the architecture of the building itself. I mean how often can you see beautiful arches like this? These are inspiring in and of themselves.



Robert depicting his "post wedding season" expression.



the modern art wing



One of the most inspiring of the day. An acrylic painting roughly 8'x10'.



A self portrait in pointilism. like a sophisticated dot matrix color printer. incredible.



This is the new exhibit on the roof of the Met. Its GIGANTIC. Its their most ambitious piece of art to date. Stainless steel welded together to resemble the organic root structure of a tree. Polished to a glimmering shine. We couldn't stop staring at it and walking around it. Bravo to the artist just for pulling this off. I mean how the heck did they get that one up there?



Bafflingly impressive.



What was interesting was some of the forms the "root" system took on. Organic looking but yet in a very Matrix alien brain cell neuron kind of way. Whatever this artist was on was pretty potent. Definitely impressive.



Oh yeah, and there was a spring time roof top view of Central Park.



And of course there were the classics. These marble statues are just mindblowing in their beauty. I happen to love this atrium area of the museum. I could sit there for hours.



This woman agrees with me. I wish I could have her job. You know, just sitting around sketching gorgeous and impressive works of art in a grand cathedral art museum. Not too shabby. Seriously, where do I sign up for that?



Look at this one for instance. Just look at the flowing drapery of the robe as it hangs loosely over the woman's knees and body. How this artist was able to capture that through carved marble just blows the fuse in my brain. I don't get it but I sure can appreciate it. We all could actually.



And yet another amazing work of sculpture. Such intricacy. And on a small scale too. I just wander around places like this with a stunned awe sometimes. What a great privilege to have this kind of art just a few minutes from our house. So great.

6 comments:

Photographer RE said...

Sweet Geoff! It was a great trip. You missed the wild cab ride back to the car. We thought we were going to die.

Kate and Geoff said...

Yeah I heard, glad I missed out on that! It was a great trip. We should definitely do that again soon. Maybe go to MOMA or the Guggenheim.

Robert J. Trenske said...

Looks like we missed a great day, would have loved to come, hope we can do it again soon!!

Michelle said...

Thanks for "taking us" to the Met with you! Can't wait until we can visit with you in person some day!

Deb Schwabe said...

Thanks for putting this down for us all to enjoy! I especially love the composition of your shot of the arches!
You have such the artist's eye - it is awe inspiring.
love, Deb

Tony said...

Great images, way better than mine, HA! Thanks for joining us, lets do it again soon.