Friday, March 13, 2009

Simple Little Things

In the musical 110 in the Shade, the main character, Lizzie, sings a song called "Simple Little Things". About how much she longs for just that. Simple things. And maybe because this week has been so hectic, or maybe because I've just been thinking more about the simple things in life these days, but I've wanted that too. Needed that too. And for some reason, I cannot describe how much this picture makes me happy.


Weekday morning sunlight on hastily arranged tulips. Tomatoes on the vine. The wood of the butcher's block we bought at Ikea because we needed more counter space. The white pitcher that The Petersons gave us as a wedding present. I love the colors of it all. And how it happened accidentally, those matching tomatoes just set down and left there. And the sight of it in the morning sun just makes me.... feel content. Makes me pause and just look at it for a moment. Which ultimately makes me late for work. But makes me breathe easier. Makes me grab my point-and-shoot camera (not even the fancy one) and just need to take its picture. To remember it. To remind myself to take pleasure in the simple things. And to remind myself to breathe.

3 comments:

beckley said...

i LOVE it.

Jill said...

Cosi, e bellissima... This is the way to live.

Michelle said...

I love this picture. You are getting very good at taking the photos! :)