Wednesday, May 5, 2010

I'm as Old as Jesus

Today is my Jesus Birthday. I'm now as old as He ever was. And my life isn't nearly as good or as bad as His was. Which I think is right about where you want to be.

(Can I say that out loud? Well, I just did.)

It's bizarre that I moved to NYC when I was 24. 24?? Really? In some ways that seems a lifetime ago, and in other ways, just a few years ago. It's wild.

In my dream world, I would reflect on lo, these 9 years as a New Yorker and share many favorite stories. But sadly, there's too much going on at work today and I don't have time.

Geoff did send me this amazing bouquet today at work though.


I love the heart that is formed at the top. It is amazing.

Maybe I’ve told this story already, so if you get bored, feel free to move along. I have a very strong memory of one of my mom’s friends telling me something that stuck with me for years. (Mom, I don’t know why I think it was Mary Alice Blake, because that would have made me a freshman in high school at the oldest, but I do). She was telling the story of a friend’s daughter who had just gotten engaged. In her entire life, she’d never been given a dozen red roses. And she prayed throughout her life that God would give her a sign, that the person she was supposed to marry would give her a dozen roses. And her fiancĂ© did shortly before he proposed. And that’s how she knew he was the right one. Well, my romantic little teenage heart just ate that right up and remembered it for years. And as I got older, I semi-started to make my own version of that prayer. For some reason, I always wanted to be sent flowers at work. So I thought, maybe that could sorta be my sign. And sure enough… Geoff was the first man to ever send me flowers at work. I’m just sayin’… I know that is cheesy as hell, and I apologize but…I’m just sayin’.

Anyway, back to birthday-related things...tonight is just a small dinner with some friends. Something low key and easy and that will provide many opportunities for sangria. Just as it should be.


PS- My office just did this. Not the best for my waistline, but DANG does it look good!!


PPS - This day keeps getting better...Just after cake, our Executive Director brought her dog Rusty in for a visit. Please! (He also was really into the cake)

6 comments:

Deb Schwabe said...

Love it!!!! I'm smiling! Thanks for sharing...wish I could be there in person....I at least know the package I sent you is sitting right under that desk and in about an hour you are calling to open it over the phone....I'm smiling.....
Love you, my Kate!!!

beckley said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

i mean, i left you a "love note" on facebook. it is possible i did that after too much coffee and too much whining, but i did. so there. happies.

Christy said...

Love catching a glimpse of your day!!!

HAPPY B-DAY!

Love that view from your office...I mean, is that really your life????!!! :)

jeremy said...

Great Bday gathering! I kept my promise.

Ali said...

Happy Birthday Kate. I totally thought about you all day yesterday and meant to text you. The day got away from me. YOU are loved in VA!

Michelle said...

I know I'm late to the game....but happy happy happy birthday!! Love you and can't wait to see you soon! So glad you got flowers and had fun with friends. :)