Monday, June 16, 2008

Stormy Weather


People say that something always goes wrong at a wedding, and I think when they said that, they were talking about ours. The days leading up to it were PICTURE PERFECT. Sunny, breezy, not at all humid and we had an awesome time setting up the tent and working on various projects, just PRAYING that Saturday's weather would be the same.

No dice.

Steamy, humid all day long (which meant I was wearing my hair UP. Kinda sad, as I wanted to wear it down, but I couldn't risk being cranky and hot so...up it went) and then moments before the ceremony, torrential downpour. There I was, waiting behind the bushes for my entrance and all I heard was "Get the bride in the house! Get the Bride in the house!!" - an order I followed immediately. The guests were ushered into Al & Liz's basement (!) to wait out the storm.

Here's Geoff enjoying a beer while he waited out the rain


And then, as my boss marveled to me later (and still does), "God made the rain stop long enough for you to get married!" It was perfect. I loved looking out the window of the office just in time to see all the guests out at the ceremony site with towels, wiping off their chairs. Awesome.


And the ceremony was lovely. I did lots of crying. As usual. And it was over so quickly and there we were, walking up the aisle, being NOT showered with the hydrangea petals we had set in a cone on everyone's chairs for this purpose 1) because they'd been ruined in the rainstorm and 2) because I guess we forgot to tell people that's what they were for. And we were married. And after less than 10 minutes of photos the rain started up again, so we headed in the house.


I never expected to have our cocktail hour in Al & Liz's kitchen, or in their dining room, where the remnants of 6 or 7 craft projects lay strewn all over the table. Or in the garage, where rumor has it one of the AMAZING catering staff from Emily's Catering upended a planter and set a boogie board on top of it to create a makeshift bar.

I can't even begin to list all the things that the rain ruined on our wedding day....The herbed popcorn and lemonade that was supposed to be served as people arrived, the aforementioned hydrangea petals to be showered down upon us, the candles around the pool, cocktail hour around the pool in general, the little basil pots we'd made for people to direct them to their tables and for a take home gift (since basil represents love), all the time we spent writing on garden stakes that basil= love, any time for pictures the way we wanted them (the only time there was for a photo of me & Geoff and my parents and brother was at the end of the night once we were all bedraggled). The list goes on.

We have to say, one of the most amazing parts of the wedding were the AMAZING photos that our photographers captured. Carla TenEyck and Matthew Wagner are good friends of ours and did SUCH an amazing job on our photos that people literally can't stop talking about them. Below are links to their blogs, where if you scroll down far enough you can find the slide shows they each put together for our wedding. I can't believe how fortunate we are to have such great photos! (And thanks in advance to them both for the few photos I stole from your blogs for this post!)

Carla's Blog
Matt's Blog

I clearly have not nearly done the day justice in this blog, but lets face it, most of the people reading this were actually there. Lets move on to the part that none of you were around for - the honeymoon!

No comments: