Tuesday, June 17, 2008

"He Make It Alla di Night"

Geoff and I made a promise about our honeymoon. That we would enjoy ourselves and not worry too much about money, because this is a once and a lifetime trip. This promise was, I think, mostly for my benefit, since I hate to spend more than $20 on anything. It was, it turned out, one of the best agreements we've made thus far. And our first such decision was when we decided to fly first class to Italy.

We woke up the day after our wedding and ordered room service for breakfast. This was my first time ever ordering room service (again with the never wanting to spend more than $20 on anything). It was so fun! I had no idea. We packed up and got on the road to JFK. Along the way I had a lovely chat with my Mom, replaying all the events of the wedding and hearing all the things that everyone had said about the day. My favorite was hearing that Geoff's step-mom was rather charmed by my brother. I mean, who isn't, but... "If I wasn't married, I'd really go for him", was, I believe, a direct quote. Love it.


We got to the airport and hung out in the VIP lounge, (see above picture) which I thought was super fun and WAY better than fighting for a seat in the regular airport waiting area. When we finally got on the plane, we discovered that we weren't seated together. I immediately started crying quietly to myself. I couldn't help it. The thought of spending 7 hours sitting two rows behind my new husband on the only first class flight I will probably ever fly sent me a little over the edge. I didn't even use it as a manipulation tactic. These were honest tears. The flight attendants started asking other people if they minded switching seats, since we were on our honeymoon and eventually I think my tears finally broke into the heart of this Italian mom who had originally wanted her two teenage sons close to her, but relented when I just couldn't stop crying.

The food was actually lovely and we had one of the best bottles of wine we found the whole trip right there on the flight. We just spent the rest of the flight talking over the wedding and even managed to get several hours of sleep. They woke us up for breakfast which was super cute. I'd forgotten to take a picture of dinner, so I grabbed one of breakfast. At one point when they flight attendants were asking us what we wanted for breakfast, they offered us a piece of coffee cake and one of flight attendants said, with his Italian accent, "Would you like some cake?" Gesturing to his co-worker, he added, "He make it alla di night!" Well, with such charming persuasion, how could we refuse?


I'm going to love Italy. I can just feel it.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I'm so glad to see some updates from you! Please keep them coming so we can hear more about your honeymoon!