Tuesday, September 30, 2008

True Confessions of an Internet Stalker

I didn't mean to. I'm not quite sure how it happened. And I blame my college roommate Courtney, actually. I read her blog every day (and a bunch of other friends' blogs) on my 10-15 minutes I get to eat lunch at my desk. Yesterday I was reading hers and read a post she did about some old family friends. When they were kids, her parents were friends with a couple who had kids their age and Courtney has reconnected with their daughter Jody. So Courtney did this great post about Jody and how wonderful and inspiring she was (they are both moms of big families) and so I just innocently popped over to the link Courtney provided to Jody's blog and I've been reading it ever since. I mean, literally. I think I read their blog on and off for almost 3 hours yesterday afternoon (in between getting things done at work). And I couldn't wait to get back to work this morning to read some more. I don't even know this woman. But I'm totally stalking her life.

I got sucked in by reading the story of Jody and her husband adopting twin 2 year olds from Sierra Leone and the incredible story of adding them to their family of four boys. It's fascinating to me. And she's very real about it, which I love. She talks about the amazing parts and also is honest about the really hard parts. I think that's why I keep reading. I respect and can relate to that kind of honesty. And think we maybe might be slightly alike in that way. And she must be a photographer of some kind - even if only an amateur one like me (another thing we might have in common) - because her pictures are amazing. Of course it doesn't hurt that her kids are also gorgeous.

It's fascinating how different people's lives are. I'm completely drawn into the world of a woman with 6 children in Iowa because its completely foreign to the world I live in. And hers is fascinating to me. I can't imagine being in her shoes, and yet I can. At any rate, I have to be reading about their family every second. I am doing this at work, mind you. I'm so engrossed in it that I get mad when the phone interrupts me, or my boss interrupts me and actually wants me to do my own job for a second. How dare they! I'm in the middle of reading about the Landers' family vacation to Colordao and how Quincy had a meltdown at the amusement park.

Oh crap. Jody just posted about two of her friends, Amanda and Britlee, BOTH of whom have blogs. Have to go read theirs now. Internet stalking is really hard work, and very time consuming. Gotta get back to it.

And yes, I did include the link to Jody's blog so that some of you can stalk her too (the story of going to Africa to get the kids starts in late May of this year) and I can feel slightly less creepy. But seriously, how could you not read about these kids?! Look at those faces!

Kora

Zeke

It's really weird that I just posted photos of another woman's children on my blog, right? A woman that I don't even know. I did semi- introduce myself in a comment to her on her blog. Does that make it at all better? Oh geez. Still completely weird and psycho and innappropriate, right? Well, fortunately any of you actually reading this know me well enough to know that even if I may be a little weird and occassionally inappropriate, at least I am not actually psycho.

Right? You know that, right?

God, I'm just making it worse...

5 comments:

Michelle said...

I love internet/blog stalking...esp at work! You can also click on people's comments and get to their blogs that way...there's a whole sea of blogs out there for you to find!

Leah said...

Kate, don't feel bad. We ALL do it. I have friends who stalk Courtney's blog (and admit to it). It's like REAL reality TV, except w/o the TV and you can do it any time. :) By the way, LOVE your blog!!

veronica said...

Your right blame Courtney! I have been blog/stalking Jody's blog for awhile now as well. Her family is a true inspiration. Someday I want to meet them. I adore all of her pictures! By the way I found you through Courtney. What a great neighbor!

Courtney said...

ha! i'm totally laughing...FINALLY catching up on blogs and can't believe you've been sucked into JOdy's world too! she's a good blog to stalk...cause she updates a lot!

this is a totally different world, isn't it??

Tracy said...

Hi Kate,
I'm actually laughing out loud as I write this. My husband and I are looking to buy a jennifer convertibles sectional and the one that I want was pictured on your blog. I kept scrolling and read some more about your life with your husband and I felt totally connected to you for some reason. I kept saying to myself-this woman is like my kindred twin of another race in the same city. That is so strange. Then I read your post about "internet stalker" and I was like "holy shit" its official I have to introduce myself. Hi! My name is Tracy and absolutely love your blog, pictures, and I think your life is casually cool, honest, and loving. I hope you don't mind but I will now be reading your blog as you read Courtney's. :) :)