Sunday, September 21, 2008

Fancy at the Last Minute


On the same night that I came home to find our completely green kitchen, I got a call from Alison saying that she had two extra party passes for the opening her show that night, and did Geoff and I want to get dressed up and meet her and Stephen downtown at Cipriani for the party. Um. Yes please?

So we met them at the theatre and took the world's longest cab ride downtown. But finally we got there and the party was in full swing.


The ceiling of Cipriani was pretty cool...


We quickly snagged some food and somehow the beverage of the night became champagne. Which I quite enjoyed.


Stephen and I having a "cheers!"


How gorgeous are my two friends? I know everyone is dying over Alison's dress. She was stunning and fancy and the very example of how cool I wish I could be.


The four of us...


I think I must have just told Alison how much champagne I'd had at this point...


Alison taking a picture of me and her friend Dan. Clearly we must not look so good.


Me and Jim Moye. He and I went to rival high schools in southwest Virginia, did community theatre together where he played Curly in Oklahoma (they made him get a perm - SO wish I could dig up pictures) and I did his make up. We also both went to the same college and now are both in New York and he is in Alison's show. I've known him for over 15 years, which is completely wild. It's so fun to be reconnected!


One of my favorite pictures of the night...even though the picture quality itself is dark and grainy, it just really captures the evening, and especially these two. Just fun, friends, celebration, good times. There's nothing like being at a party with friends who know and love you completely. So much so that they (Stephen) are willing to get on a train from Boston to NYC on a THursday afternoon to be your date at opening night, stay with you at the party until you've basically shut it down and then get back on a train for Boston at 3am, and still make it to your 10am meeting on Friday morning. That's real friendship right there. And does Alison look like a 30s movie star or what?


It was a blast, despite not getting home until 230am on a school night. We've been to a ton of opening night parties for Broadway shows in our day, but this may have been the best one. I think it was because I didn't have anything to do with this show, so I didn't have to work at the party. It makes a big difference.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

you are TOTALLY double-fisting that champagne!

Kate and Geoff said...

I was just holding geoff's glass for a second! It was totally innocent. And by that, of course, I mean it totally wasn't. ;-)