Friday, January 11, 2008

La Dolce Far Niente

The sweetness of doing nothing. This is my new favorite Italian phrase. We have been researching Italy for our honeymoon and I knew it was a culture I could get used to. But then we discovered the Italian idea of La Dolce Far Niente. And it makes me want to move there right away. Enjoying lifes pleasures. Not having any place to be but where you are. Lingering over a glass of wine just to watch the sun set slowly. Getting lost in the back canals of Venice. Taking a meandering stroll (or passeggiata) through the heart of Florence. Drinking cafe all morning on a terrace overlooking the Amalfi Coast. I say, yes please.

If anyone has any recommendations about places we should visit on our trip, suggestions are welcome. As I was looking through my book in Italy this week, I was noticing that all the things that sounded interesting had to do with food and wine. I skimmed through the information about museums and churches and circled things about cafes. So we are basically interested in things involving wine, cheese, bread, gelato, and wandering about. And yes, we plan to gain a good 10 pounds. At least. Totally worth it.

2 comments:

the little owl said...

La Dolce Far Niente - I echo your "Yes, please!" That sounds a-ma-zing! I think I may adopt that phrase as well...

Cannot even believe you will be in Italy for two weeks. Having never been there, i can't really recommend anything... but Kevin lived there for a semester, so I can ask him.

the little owl said...

Awww... thanks, darling! Yeah, I'm a bit geeky with the do-it-yourself... but I hope it's at least geeky in an endearing sort of way.

I miss you the mostest, friend... let's have a phone date soon and catch up! I have a show tonight and am flying to LA tomorrow, and then have shows the rest of the week, but maybe we can coordinate schedules...